Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Grasshopper Trifle

Ingredients:

9x13 pan of brownies, cut into 1 inch squares
1 Pint heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 package of grasshopper mint cookies

Chocolate Mousse:
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
1 large package chocolate instant pudding
2 1/2 cups milk

1 container (15oz.) of cool whip

Prepare brownies and let cool, then cut into 1 inch squares.

Take one package of grasshopper cookies and break into bite size pieces. (Do not obliterate into crumbs!)

Make Mousse: (cream cheese, sour cream, pudding, milk,) and then fold in one container of cool whip.

Layer in trifle dish:
1. Brownies
2. Mint grasshopper cookies
3. Mousse
Repeat until Trifle dish is full.

Top with fresh whipped cream.
I add vanilla and a 1/4 cup sugar to my whipped cream to sweeten it up.
You can see in the picture, I sprinkled a few cookie crumbs on the whipped cream.

This is an original recipe and one of my first that I came up with by myself. Most of my recipes are adaptations, but this one I can claim as all mine. If you are a lover of all things mint, I guarantee you will love this recipe.

Like I said earlier, you can save yourself a lot of time if you prepare most everything beforehand and then assemble your trifle on the day of your party.

What makes a trifle so wonderful is the combination of crunchy (cake) and smooth (cream, mousse).  It gives your tastebuds everything they are looking for.
I would make my brownies and mousse the day before my party.  Whip your cream an hour before you serve it, so it will be as stiff as you need it to be.  If you are only serving four or five you will not need a pint of cream, more like a cup.  The cream is just a garnish on the top. (one big spoonful)

No comments:

Post a Comment