Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pioneer Sheet Cake

Cook 1 cup raisins in 1 1/2 c water. Bring to a boil.
Drain and save 3/4 cup liquid, let mixture cool.

Combine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
1 egg
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. soda dissolved in raisin liquid
2 cups flour
(Add this last and mix as little as possible.)
Add cooled raisins (or chocolate chips if you don't care for raisins.)
Spread in greased and floured 9x13 pan and cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Frosting:
2 Tablespoons soft butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tablespoon milk
Enough powdered sugar to make a glaze, or a thicker frosting if you like.

This is one of those old fashioned desserts. Couldn't even tell you where the original came from. I know my version is written on a paper sack! Double this to make cookie sheet size.

My kids won't eat raisins in a cake, so I hold them back and sprinkle 1/2 with raisins and 1/2 with chocolate chips. You could go straight chocolate chips if you wanted and skip the first two steps. This just reminds me of something the pioneer's would make, although I have no proof. But, they did make lots of things with raisins.

No comments:

Post a Comment